HighWire is a Doctoral Training Centre at Lancaster University. We have a post-disciplinary approach to innovation through research which crosses computing, design and management.
Each year we recruit 10-12 exceptional students interested in working between and beyond the disciplines of computing, design and management. Our HighWire students:
- Perform research focused on problems, not disciplines
- Have a real impact on industry and society
- Work with world-leading commercial partners
- Undertake a 4 year MRes+PhD programme
- Receive a £16,690 p.a. enhanced stipend
- Study in a new purpose-built facility on the Lancaster University campus
- Understand and apply innovation to the digital economy
HighWire is a world class, cross-disciplinary and user-centric Doctoral Training Centre which places innovation at the heart of its curriculum and ethos. We go beyond traditional multi-disciplinary approaches by seeking a creative fusion between three key disciplines, namely computer science, management and design. The emphasis is on producing a new breed of innovative people who understand and are able to advance the state of the art in technical, design and business innovation: innovative people prepared to work in challenging roles in organisations and ready to drive radical change in the digital economy.
The centre is funded under the EPSRC Digital Economy programme and is supported by a range of companies including: AT&T, BBC, BT, Clifford Chance, CSMTC, HP Labs, Knowledge Partners, Microsoft, Mott MacDonald, O2 and Sony in addition to 20 micro-businesses and SMEs in the Northwest.